Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Voting

Why don't people exercise their right to vote? I worked at the election polls yesterday for a local election and we had a small turnout. I admire those that did come to vote and suffer with limited parking and an uphill climb. But what about those that did not choose to vote? It is a privilege that people take for granted, and with the ease of absentee ballots, you don't even have to go anywhere to do it. We had lots of people make jokes about hanging chads. The voting machine that accepted the ballots was called the Eagle -- pretty appropriate name. And the sheriff is responsible for providing security for the ballots, with the assistance of the chain gang.
I love working on election campaigns, though I should be paid NOT to volunteer as my track record includes Muskie (before the dirty tricks started), Bill Bradley and Howard Dean. But I really did like all of them enough to volunteer my time and energy. Not sure who deserves my time and energy now....