Thursday, May 20, 2004

Monthly Homeowner Association Meeting

Tonight I attended the monthly Homeowner Association meeting. I am Secretary of the Association and enjoy participating as you become aware of what is going on in the association and the neighborhood. Most of the meetings are non-controversial and pleasant, but every once in awhile, an angry neighbor attends, making me wonder why I would want to be on the Board.
The truth is, someone has to be on the Board, and different residents should take turns serving a board term so they too could be better informed. And if people don't want to follow the rules, then they should not buy a home in an area with an association. You have the obligation of reading the rules and agreeing to abide by them prior to the sale -- maybe people don't read them or just decide that the rules will not apply to them.
So, tonight is one of the nights that was less than pleasant. And, to top it off, I have to do two sets of minutes and am very good at procrastinating. When I actually sit down to do them, it is not that bad.....procrastinating is a difficult habit to break. The thing you are avoiding must be in crisis or close to a deadline in order to get it done -- that is a habit I would like to change. But I remember procrastinating my state report (Mississippi) in 5th grade so it is not a new problem for me.