Saturday, August 14, 2004

Mr. Monk

We are fans of Mr. Monk, or the show "Monk". Actually, my daughter and I are avid fans and my husband tolerates it. Tony Shaloub plays an offbeat detective that has a unique way of problem solving. It is often charming, funny and, when he is not portrayed in an overly eccentric fashion, one of the best shows on TV. It shows on USA and we have our DVR (or my husband does since I don't have a clue as to how to work it) set to record "Monk" whenever it is on. They have some great guest stars -- we liked Adam Arkin. The underlying theme is Mr. Monk's ongoing challenge in solving his wife's murder, while solving other murder cases that sometimes bring clues to his wife's case. He has a germ fetish and other OCD habits that make him a very unusual character. Being set in San Francisco, we often identify places we have seen and always try to guess what fact he will find to unlock the case, but only my husband is ever remotely close. That's what happens after one has been a TV critic, I guess.