Monday, September 06, 2004

Labor Day

Today is Labor Day, and I don't really know the exact reason for the holiday, except to recognize the laborers. Many laborers were working, as the newspaper inserts make it into a big shopping weekend. The yard workers in our area were working. Most of them probably are not even aware of the holiday, as when they don't work, they are not paid. I worked since I always teach on Mondays and the health club I work at is open on Monday holidays. It makes the day really uneven and not very holiday-like. And grocery stores are busy, promoting Labor Day barbeques.
Really, this is what I think the day is about:
1. it officially signifies the end of summer, and in most areas, the beginning of school, and
2. it is definitely the last day you can properly wear white shoes. I am of the age that I remember that white shoes and purses can only be worn between Memorial Day and Labor Day. And I think of it every time I see someone wearing white shoes any other time of the year (except weddings, of course.)