Friday, August 27, 2004

Gifting/Regifting

I always feel like you need to bring gifts when you go places --hostess gifts, small items to people you will be seeing, just a little something so they know you were thinking about them. I don't usually think of it until the very last minute, and then you get into the regifting plan, where you give a gift of something you have received and either did not like or use. Today I am gathering my supply of little odds and ends gifts, and my husband often says that my gifts remind him of the terrible gifts his mother always gave people. I try to think of something that the person might use, albeit unconventional.
My worst one was probably these hat racks that you could put in the top shelf of the dishwasher to wash baseball caps. For hat wearers, it seemed ideal. Another was a special brush for cleaning out combs and hairbrushes, back in the day when Fuller Brush was sold door-to-door. I gave out bottle openers made of recycled plastic once and have given bath cubes many times. Lately, Starbuck's or Blockbuster gift cards seem to make the best gifts, and believe it or not, you can even regift those too!