Wednesday, September 29, 2004

October

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, which means breast cancer and all its reminders are everywhere. Tonight we are attending a Susan B. Komen event, "Lighting The Way" dinner for survivors (4 years and counting, I hope!) It will be energizing to be with other survivors, but emotionally draining at the same time. My husband is attending with me this time and he deserves to attend as he was wearing a "Superman" cape during the nine months of treatment. Only fitting that the wearer of the cape could possibly get to see the Jerry Seinfeld show in Las Vegas on December 26.
But, back to the breast cancer -- I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, thanks to the deft hands of my surgeon, Dr. Laura Esserman. The first October I noticed Breast Cancer Awareness month was in a magazine, while waiting for my initial consultation with my fantastic Radiation Oncologist, Dr. Francine Halberg. She told me each October would be interesting, as each year I would be feeling differently than the year before. Each year, so far, I am thankful to be alive and healthy for this month. I also acknowledge that each October that I am healthy is another year that science can find answers and new treatments.
October is also my birthday, celebrated two days before my husband's birthday. Our traditional celebration is the day between. I have already started buying (and hiding) gifts for both of us!