Wednesday, November 24, 2004

A Toast to Dolphins as Lifesavers

The fact that a pod of dolphins circled around a group of New Zealand swimmers to fend off an attack by a great white shark is fantastic. I believe that the dolphins, who are always compared to humans in their mental capabilities, reacted instinctively as if the people were their fellow dolphins. That is such an amazing reaction for them, and makes it doubly sad when they are caught in the tuna fishing nets.
My daughter and I have wanted to do one of those tours where you swim with the dolphins in a controlled situation, and get the chance to hug them. I think it could be overwhelming and has been said to be therapeutic for some mental disorders.
Last year, I had wanted to ride the Safari Train at the San Diego Wildlife Park. We were in the middle of a herd (or is it gaggle?) of giraffes, reaching into my hands for food, breathing on my face and neck, looking at me with those giant eyes. I kept screaming "I think I have gone to heaven." And a swim with the dolphins could be right up there in unbelievable and memorable experiences.