Wednesday, August 04, 2004

What is courage?

Sometimes, people just display lots of courage. I am often impressed by that when I read or hear about it. For example, the little girl in Philadelphia, Alexandra Scott, who raised cancer research funds while terminally ill with a childhood cancer. She died this week at the age of 8 -- what an example she left in her short, but valuable life. Or, in someone who takes a valiant stand - politically or otherwise -- because they know it is the right thing to do. Rusty Tillman, an Arizona athlete killed in Afghanistan was one of those people. Or, any proud Jewish people (and those of other faiths) that choose to life their lives in Israel demonstrate beliefs that are stronger than any threats to their well-being. Or, my husband who just keeps on doing the right thing and being persistent to succeed when, sometimes, that is really hard to do. Lance Armstrong and his amazing recovery from cancer is totally courageous. War camp survivors who continue to get up each morning and keep on living are among the most courageous folks I could imagine.
I could even say Smarty Jones, the horse, who kept on racing after bashing his head into a rail. You could say he did not make the decision for himself, and will have fun in retirement being a stud.
Just my thoughts today. For me, I am courageous when I stand up to someone who bullies me on the phone.