Saturday, October 01, 2005

Butterflies

Butterflies are frequent visitors in our yard, with so many, multi-colored varieties circling the yellow, orange and red blossoms in our yard. We have many butterfly-friendly flowers that attract these delicate creatures as they migrate back from their summers in Mexico. This year there seems to be many more types (is that what they are -- is it species?) than most years. My husband noticed them fluttering about, and so sweetly said, "It's that time of year!" Yes, it is, and I hope to observe their migration for many years to come. October 1 is the first day of Breast Cancer Awareness Month -- so each day I am bombarded by reminders that it is important to make each day special, noticing butterflies, cheering for my cactus flowers that come out for just one night, and appreciating my husband and daughter. I won't get started on the hummingbirds that are also gracing us with their presence now as well.