Sunday, April 23, 2006

Lilacs -- I Love Them!

There were big branches of lilacs today at Trader Joe's. Needless to say, since they are my favorite spring blossoms, I brought some home, sniffing them all the way. They make me remember every spring in Seattle as we had them in our yard. My cousin came off the plane last year with big chunks of her lilac tree to share with me, knowing how much I love them.
I was wondering about their aromatherapy significance, as it is difficult to find toiletries or candles with lilac fragrance.
It turns out that lilac smell is difficult to create, as is capturing the real fragrance. Why does the fragrance make me so happy? In one aromatherapy reference, "In The Secrets of Flowers" written by A. Stoddard Kull, the lilac is a symbol of the first emotions of Love. To find a lilac blossom with five instead of four corolla lobes means good luck. Some say the purple color denotes sadness and mourning."
All I can say is, that sure is a complex fragrance.