Friday, June 11, 2004

Cactus Flowers

The organ pipe cactus in our yard has amazing flowers. The flower opens as dusk falls and closes when the sun comes out in the morning. Once. Just one night. It has a lifespan of 12 hours or less. They are big, white, waxy, and attract bees, hummingbirds and yes, bats, too.
But they are a metaphor for life, in my mind. What can I do to make sure that I can make a significant impact? The first thing I will do is try to forget anything even vaguely related to Ronald Reagan and his long-term impact the opposite (wrong!!!!!!) way. Then, I can donate my time (volunteer), work on election campaigns or share some of our stuff (goods/cash) with others and impact their life the way that each flower inspires me. The lovely, large blossom that opened last night gives me hope. During its 10 hour life, I got a tremendous amount of joy. Where does today take me as a result of that inspiration?