Monday, August 07, 2006

Summer Hiatus Comes to an end

When school is out, I am on hiatus. This means, to me, lack of a structured schedule. But, with school one week away, my hiatus is ending.
It has been a summer unlike any other in my life. Travel to the Florida Panhandle was amazing and we have menus taped to our refridgerator to remind us daily. We loved it from start to finish and discuss when we can return.
The MLB All-Star Game in Pittsburgh and AAA game in Toledo, Ohio were dream-like. We watch clips of Ryan Howard winning the Home Run Derby and have to pinch ourselves that we were there. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland was fantastic, and gave us a thirst to learn more about Bob Dylan.
A one-week excursion to Europe had high and low points. The chocolate and food in Belguim were spectacular, the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam showcased the artist's madness, while madness of another sort was evident at the nearby Anne Frank house. I gasped when I saw the infamous bookcase that blocked the entry to their upstairs hideaway.
London was a myriad of people, diverse cultures, surreal street markets, retracing the steps of the "Notting Hill" movie...I always say it is good to leave a place when there are more things to do than you have time to do. We just scratched the surface of London and will plan a return trip, we hope.
But school, and routine, and meetings and driving obligations loom. I have some great summer memories to get me through those days. Plus the re-emergence of Spinning classes in my life will help.