Friday, June 09, 2006

Breakfast At Our House

Creativity is the word these days for planning breakfast at our house, in order to accomodate different dietary requirements. Sadly, we are lacking the needed creative touch and are settled into monotony. Eating non-traditional breakfast foods for breakfast is a good idea, but shrimp rolls, herring, lentils, etc. just doesn't sound good with your morning coffee.
The birds that visit our yard, on the other hand, are enjoying a fresh, vegetarian breakfast buffet. The parent cardinal (big, red and gorgeous) eats my ripening tomatoes while perched on the contraption designed to scare birds away. It then goes to its tiny, scared baby sqwaking in the corner to feed it in mouth-to-mouth fashion. It is so cute and sweet that I cannot be mad at them for eating my tomatoes. I tried picking the partially-red ones so I could get them first, but now they are eating the green ones anyway. (Just a side-note, the other new gorgeous Cardinal in town (Matt Leinart) is welcome to join us for a non-traditional breakfast anytime as well.)
The quail families run through the garden, only stopping to peck at the beet and mustard greens. The lizards run through, eating the bugs, I guess.
I am enjoying watching our mini-verison of the ecosystem, even at the expense of a few tomatoes and lots of water.