Thursday, September 28, 2006

7 Flower Day

Many people rate their days by the number of stars in their horoscope. For me, it is the number of flowers that bloomed on my cactus overnight. Last night there were 7 -- a new record and a sign of a good day to come. The flowers last just one night, and by early morning are closing up, while being appreciated by bees and hummingbirds. It is a gentle reminder of the importance of each day, especially during the period of reflection during the Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur holidays.
Our days in synagogue were more inspirational than expected, thanks to Rabbi Fields-Meyer. But my ongoing inspiration can be found in my growing garden, seeing people (my husband and daughter included) continue to amaze me with their spirit and reading of the generous acts of kindness by some folks around the world. It helps balance out sadness from horrific tales of abuse and murder and my personal sadness when I hear about hunger, and animals on the verge of extinction due to environmental changes.