Sunday, June 13, 2004

Musicals

I am not historically a fan of musicals, where a group of people are talking, and then suddenly, they burst into a song and dance. I find it to be very irritating and have stayed away from musicals. A revival of "Oklahoma" is making its way around the country and there are many revivals on Broadway now, as evidenced by the recent Tony awards.
I did enjoy "Mamma Mia", and saw Rosie O'Donnell in "Seussical, The Musical" on her opening night (coincidental, not planned). And when I was younger I liked "Grease", "Jesus Christ Superstar" and "Hair." I cannot overlook my onetime fascination with "Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris," a fascination I am hard pressed to explain, and over which I have taken much ribbing.
I think I may need to be more open minded and try going to more musicals, but my criteria still includes that they have to have oldies music.