Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Annoying Campaign Phone Calls

We had so many campaign phone calls at our house that it became annoying. As someone that made calls for some candidates, I know that the motive is good, seeking to get the voter informed and voting. But more than six calls per day is too much. Calls can come from candidates on all levels, parties on all levels and various PACs and interest groups, meaning there is no coordination in who calls when. And it was probably worse because I contributed money to several campaigns.
Well, the election was yesterday and the future will be different thanks to the Democrats elected (good change) and changes in state laws adopted by Arizona voters (some not so good change). English as the official language is mean-spirited, but no smoking in public places is great.
ID at the polls was less confrontational than the last election, lines were long, people came prepared with their list of how they planned to vote, and the day flew by.
By far the most common complaint throughout the day was the annoying campaign phone calls. Some people had 20 daily on their cellphones. One of the pollworkers got calls all day on her cellphone reminding her to vote.
But, did it work? I say yes, it annoyed people enough to get out and express their opinions. People wanted to get their say on who and what, but they really wanted the calls to stop and the negative campaign ads to end.
As they say in "The American President", the president loves democracy (not an exact quote.) I have to say I do too. I love the thrill of campaigning and the stories of the winners and losers. I love putting up signs and being part of the positive energy surrounding campaign volunteers. I already miss it and look forward to the next time around. I think I was one of the people that Alexis deTouqueville discussed in "Democracy In America." No matter what anyone says, Howard Dean's campaign two years ago re-ignitied baby-boomer Democrats to get involved. For that, we owe him a huge thanks. This time around, it was Sen. Barack Obama and President Clinton.
Three lovely women I know ran, and lost, but they tried. Isn't that what it is all about? I admire them.